Creating an Anchor (NLP)
We can easily be in the mood we need, such as being calm, feeling happy, strong and creative, etc.
- Defining the state we need to be in.
We choose the state that most suits our current needs: calmness, security, self-confidence, success, affection, etc.
- Choosing the gesture that will serve as an anchor.
We choose the gesture that will serve as an anchor. It has to be discreet, new for us, and involving some muscular strength: pressing the thumb against the little finger, pressing a part of your thumb with the nail of the index finger, clenching your fist tightly, etc.
This gesture has to be very clear (it is necessary to remember it exactly), very brief (lasting no more than one or two seconds), and it must not have been used before.
- Finding three memories of the state we have chosen.
It is very beneficial that the first memory relates to a childhood experience, and that each memory is part of a different context. The memory shall not be associated to another unpleasant scene, or else we will end up anchoring something nice together with something unpleasant.
For instance, in order to anchor a feeling of worth, we may use a childhood memory of the first time we rode a bicycle on our own. Then, the memory of a school success. And thirdly, the memory of the last time we made a great impression on our friends with a meal we cooked.
Write down the name of each memory, and select the instant of greatest power for each one.
- Follow this sequence for each memory:
- Close your eyes, enter into your memory as if you were experiencing the occurrence again, looking at what you were looking at, listening to what you were listening to, and feeling what you were feeling.
- Anchor: right when the positive feeling is growing and about to reach its peak, apply the anchor, that is, make the previously chosen gesture, always in the same manner. Briefly. For no more than two seconds.
- Immediately afterwards, open your eyes and look at anything or think of anything. The point here is to distract your brain so that the anchor is recorded more deeply.
- Testing the anchor: now, with your eyes open and without thinking of anything, repeat the anchor once, in the same way, equally briefly. If the anchor has been installed right, you will notice how the desired state emerges in you.
If this is not the case, identify the point at which you did not follow the instructions and repeat the sequence.
- Bridge into the future:imagine yourself in a few days, at a time when you will need the state you have just anchored, and “fire the anchor”, in the same way as before, very briefly, and wait until you can perceive inside you a change with regards to this future.
If you need it, repeat the anchor until you can feel at your best.
- Recharging batteries:the more you use the anchor, the more powerful it is. Use it nonstop during the first few days, since this is when it gains its greatest strength. You will be able to enjoy it for the rest of your life.